Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Givers

It's amazing to hear stories of people who use their resources for philanthropic purposes.  Names that were once synonymous with cutthroat competition, ambition, exploration, and expansion are now known for charitable foundations and educational institutions.  Carnegie and Rockefeller are some of the most famous examples, but generosity and charity are not things of the past.  A businessman named John C. Malone donated $57 million in 2011.  $57 million.... I will never see a tenth of that in my lifetime, and he simply gave it away. 

Think of how remarkable this is.  These people achieved wealth beyond the dreams of most, and their response was to give a good deal of money away.  This is far from the image of a wealthy Scrooge-like money hoarded that I have assumed is the case. 

I am blown away when I hear of these things.  I don't wish that I was rich, but I do wish that I had enough disposable income to donate to certain charities.  There are many organizations that quietly go about their business, improving the lives of people or animals in need.  They hope for the generosity of individuals who feel moved to help them carry out their mission. 

One of these is the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary.  Based on the dream of one man and organized on a sustainable range model, this sanctuary is an excellent example of what can be done with unwanted wild horses.  Tours are available upon request, and some films have been made on the site.  It is an inspiring example of how people can manage wisely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment