Recently, it was my misfortune to meet a young woman who has two very different sides to her personality. While she is capable of being pleasant, she frequently lets slide statements that lead me to believe that there is a screw loose in there.
She was at her desk when I first met her, and when my coworker introduced us, she turned, sneered at me, then swiveled back around without so much as a "hello." I noted her reaction and went on.
"I always get my revenge when someone offends me," she has told me more than once. I exhibited mild disinterest. I don't really care. "There's this one guy that made me mad in the first grade, and I'm still waiting to get back at him. Someday I will...."
"The ladies at the receptionist desk are trying to lose weight, so I made fun of them to their faces," she bragged. "They're trying to diet and eat salads, and it's just ridiculous."
And so forth.
On the other hand, she is very capable of being pleasant. This is especially true when she is dealing with a supervisor, or someone who has anything to do with scheduling. She kisses ass the way a wine connoisseur savors a rare vintage. In times like these, it is easy to forget how rude, dismissive, and hateful she can be.
The galling thing is that she is working almost full-time, and I have five scheduled work days next month. I have been able to get work from other departments so far, but I'm flying by the seat of my pants these days.
Last night I watched Shutter Island. Sounds like she belongs there ;-) And it is unfortuate when you see someone like this and how they swing their personality at will for their own gain.
ReplyDeleteIt's scary to see someone like that, especially when she could end up in a position of authority.
DeleteI haven't told very many people about her behavior because she isn't like that around them, so they might not believe it. I don't know if it would do any good.