Monday, May 6, 2013

Tradeoffs

I really wish people were more realistic about what to expect from a career, or even a plain ol' job.  For one thing, you should never expect perfection.  Despite your personal best efforts, it is unlikely that you will end up with a "perfect" job.  There is always some sort of tradeoff.  In my current job, I relish the variety, the flexibility, and the sheer fun in my work.  My coworkers are 99% delightful, and most of them are positive and easy to work with. 

On the other hand, I begin each month wondering if I will have enough work.  I am also keenly aware that few people can do this work for very long.  It's intended as a stepping stone in order to gain enough experience to get to the next level.  That being said, people who have gone to the next level always lament that they had the most fun when they were doing my job.  Again, tradeoffs.

Currently, I face another conflicting decision.  A permanent position has come open with another agency, and one of the applicants strongly believes that I have a chance.  I don't want to leave my current organization.  It is full of fantastic people, and I've become very attached to my job.  However, nothing is guaranteed with it, and I could end up with little to no work.  This is unlikely, but it is possible.  This other job would be guaranteed and permanent.  It could also be boring, miserable, and unpleasant.  It could also be just as fun as my current job, but without the uncertainty.  There's no way of knowing unless I went for it.

The fear of an unpleasant work environment is based on some bitter experience.  I would hate to leave my job for something miserable, but, again, there's no way of knowing beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment