I can only take so much. After that, I reach a sort of mental critical mass. The world continues to whirl around while I look at it with detached interest mixed with a sense of resignation. There is only so much that I can do.
Escrow is set to close on Friday. We have fixed the damage, most of our belongings are moved out, and we are established in our new place. We're renting a couple of rooms from some relatives, and most of our shtuff (stuff/shit) has been packed away into a storage unit. The difficult part is that most of the thing left at the house are things I don't want, but shouldn't leave. The plan is to rent a roll-off dumpster for anything that's outright garbage, most of which was in the house when we bought it. Everything else will be carted off in the truck, to be dealt with when we have the time and inclination.
The irritating thing about this move is that it has been very lengthy, which means everything has been packed and moved without regard to whether we actually want it. We have moved a quantity of items that I don't actually want to keep. Some of these things have followed us through a couple of moves. The accumulation disturbs me. I mean, we're not hoarders or anything, and our house and garage were far from full. In fact, one bedroom was unfurnished, and the closets were half empty.
I think of going back to the house and having to pack up two mini-fridges that we haven't used in four years, old signs that were re-purposed as a work bench, miscellaneous scrap wood and metal, and the truck seat that we want to re-upholster, and I groan inwardly. I want to be done. I can understand why the previous owner, who lost the house when the bubble collapsed, didn't want to bother with the random toilet in the shed and the pile of magazines in the garage.
Plus, the escrow process has played havoc with my work schedule. Demands keep cropping up, and it makes it difficult for me to schedule or accept work. It all adds up. Now, I sit here, fluttering on the edge of an anxiety attack, and hope that it will all settle down when escrow closes. I hope so.
No comments:
Post a Comment