Wednesday, June 26, 2013


I recently read an article on a comedy site that struck a nerve.  That's what this particular site tends to do.  They wrap truth with a thick layer of humor, often sprinkled with profanity, and leave me with much to think about.  In one of the latest articles, the writer outlined three unhealthy relationships that all of us have.  The one that really struck a nerve was the family relationship.  I don't tend to want to think much about my relationship with most of my family members.  If I do, I feel an acute sense of discomfort.  I suppose I should delve into the issue one of these days in the interests of solving it, but there are plenty of immediate concerns that I would rather address.

Even so, every so often, I dip my toe in and consider reality.  One of the more recent events occurred when my husband and I moved into our house.  When we lived in our apartment, we used an antique bedroom set that came to me after my great-grandfather died.  It is a beautiful old set, complete with vanity, full-size bed frame, and dresser.  I used the set for over ten years, due to its beauty and sentimental value, I planned to keep it indefinitely.  At the same time, we had another set that we were going to use for the master bedroom, and the two smaller rooms were in need of carpet.  One of my sisters had a guest room with no furniture, so I offered to let her borrow my antique set until we were able to put in carpets.  Plans were delayed, but it was still in the back of my mind.  In the meantime, she bought a set from our other sister and gave it to us.  I accepted, but thought it was odd.  There was no mention of my furniture at that point.

Some months ago, I broached the subject of the antique set and offhandedly mentioned that I would want it back after we move.  She quickly fired back that the set was hers.  I was dumbfounded, looked at my husband, and told her that I had never given her the set.  She insisted that I had, and told me that she wanted the hardware to mount the vanity mirror.  I was still confused, and reiterated that the set was still mine.  The issue is still in dispute, and she still has possession of the furniture.

 What does one do in this case?  The article claims that blood relation does not give people license to behave like total jerks to one another.  I am inclined to agree, but it's much easier to agree in theory than in practice.  My sister is an obstinate woman, but I had no idea that she would effectively steal my property.  If she refuses to give it back, I honestly don't know what to do. 

2 comments:

  1. Are there are some old emails where you state that you are lending it, even if it's to a third party?

    Also, I would try a heartfelt email. Never write angry letters or emails, but sometimes if you need to explain your side putting it in writing is the best way to get it across. Tell her you are sorry you didn't put it in writing beforehand, as you never wanted to cause her any heartache, and you apologize for not taking the steps to make sure that was avoided... etc, etc.

    Basically, pad it in her favor by acknowledging her emotional attachment, but be firm and clear, in a sympathetic way, regarding the circumstances.

    NEVER give the vanity mirror.

    If you really want to play hardball and make sure you get the set back... ..... this is underhanded, but is there any matriarch of the family you can appeal to at the same time you write your sister? It's a dangerous game, but you could always go that route. "Dear Aunt Thelma, I was wondering if I could ask your advice on a small problem I am having, and how best I could resolve it...." knowing full well Aunt Thelma will talk to your sister about it. Only do this if you think your initial email to her will fail without a backup, as it will cause resentment.

    Short of trying some emotional manipulation, you may have to do small claim's court or just ignore it.

    But whatever you do, do it all in writing so there IS NO CONFUSION. Return her set to her if you are going to do the small claim's court (only do this if you want to kiss the relationship goodbye), as they would rule against you if you have a set she bought you.

    Good luck :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, thanks for commenting. We were able to come to an agreement on the fate of the bedroom sets. It helped that I offered to give her the bed, mattress, and box spring, because the antique set was only a frame. Thanks for your input. It was extremely helpful.

      Delete